HDoc generates documentation in HTML format for Haskell modules.
The generated documents are cross linked and include summaries and
detailed descriptions for the documented functions, data types, type
classes and instance declarations.
To put it in other words: HDoc is very much like Javadoc.
Here's a simple example
of what documents generated by HDoc look like (and here
are the sources for the example).
A (very) short introduction to HDoc is
available in PDF format.
- GHC >= 5.00, or
GHC >= 4.06 + HMAKE, or
NHC98 >= 1.06 + HMAKE, or
- GNU make (to build a compiled version)
- Happy (only to re-generate the parsers)
- Alex (only to re-generate the scanner)
NOTE: only works with Alex 1.x, not Alex 2.0
- 2004-05-18 HDoc 0.8.3
- fixed a bug in HsParser which caused line numbers to be messed up
when lexing character literals
- 2002-05-11 HDoc 0.8.2
- incorporated patches by Martin Norbäck:
- support for hierarchical module names
- support for pattern guards
- HTML/CSS generation fix
- updated HsParser to current version
- some parser fixes for explicit quantification with
- 2001-12-31 HDoc 0.8.1
- support for some language extensions:
functional dependencies, foreign declarations,
pattern type signatures, explicit universal quantification.
- support for stylesheets
- many bugfixes (thanks to the reporters)
- 2001-04-18 HDoc 0.8.0
- new comment format: end-of-line comments introduced by
--- (comments in the old format are still
- HTML tags in the documentation text are now analyzed by HDoc,
i.e. you cannot use tags unknown to HDoc (this is a preparation for
other backends than HTML in future versions).
- Note: a standard Hugs98 cannot run HDoc due to built-in limits
("Program storage space exhausted");
you need to apply the patch included in the HDoc distribution and
- 2001-02-10 HDoc 0.7.3a
- current versions of NHC98 can now compile HDoc (thanks to
- added autoconf support, i.e. HDoc has now a configure script
(to select the compiler etc.)
- 2001-01-31 HDoc 0.7.3
- "--exports" is fixed (finally); re-exported objects appear where
- indexes of data types, classes and instances are included in the
- 2001-01-04 HDoc 0.7.2
- new option "--line-numbers"
- support for type synonyms
- various bug fixes
- 2000-11-28 HDoc 0.7.1
- implemented preprocessor for "> ..." style literate scripts
- updated HsParser (should parse Haskell '98 now)
- types of function arguments are now automtically taken from
- some bug fixes
- 2000-10-10 HDoc 0.7.0
- uses HsParser to parse Haskell source
- less redundancy in HDoc comments
- front end and back end now separated
- minor speed improvements
- 2000-08-08 First public release of experimental version
The current version of HDoc:
(the "simple example" is included in this tarball.)
HDoc is released under the GPL (see file COPYING in the tarball).
Last modified: 20.02.2010, 09:40 Uhr